Two British Indian surgeons who left Britain last year to realize their dream of opening a hospital in India have been left devastated after their 8-year-old son was kidnapped and murdered by a domestic servant.
Dr Nikita Rawal and Dr Arvind Rawal, who had previously worked at Hull Royal Infirmary and Castle Hill Hospital, respectively, in Yorkshire - had returned to Indore late last year before inaugurating the Royal Shanti Hospital in the city on June 22 at a ceremony attended by Shabana Azmi and Javed Akhtar, among others.
Reports say that their son Ishan was kidnapped during the inauguration ceremony by one of the Rawals' male servants, who had taken the boy to a nearby forest before strangling him to death.
The little boy's body was discovered in woodland after his parents and their friends searched in vain for him before calling in police.
Now, Ishan's parents are calling on the British Government to help bring their son's killer to justice.
Nikita, 42, said: "How can someone do such a thing?
"He was such a talented boy – he played tennis and was getting on very well at school.
"We are missing a very big part of our lives that we will never get back."
Ishan, who used to attend Molescroft Primary School with his older brother Rusheek, 11, went missing on the day of the inauguration ceremony at Royal Shanti Hospital in Indore, central India, on June 22.
Arvind, 43, said: "Rusheek said Ishan had gone – so we spent an hour looking all over the hospital.
"There were people everywhere so it was very hectic.
"When we couldn't find him, we reported it to the police.
"We had our suspicions that he had been kidnapped."
Ishan had been spotted leaving with the servant - named locally as Shaan Das - who later admitted to abducting the boy because his parents "had refused to give him a job at the hospital".
However, Ishan's parents refuse to accept someone could murder their child over a job and believe there is more to their son's killing.
They think it could have been the work of more than one killer, orchestrated by their enemies in an attempt to halt their work and force them back to Britain.
Nikita said: "In March, it was decided he (Das) wouldn't work for the hospital.
"But he already had a job so he wasn't unemployed and it was months ago. We've requested an inquiry into what happened – it was so well planned, we know there is more to it."
Arvind says the Indian police are satisfied with the arrest of Das as the prime suspect and are not concerned about looking for anyone else in connection with Ishan's murder.
The family however, have requested officials from the British High Commission in India to appeal to New Delhi to widen the murder investigation.