Indian players have failed to make it to the International Cricket Council’s Team of the World Cup 2015 – news that is certain to further annoy fans left heartbroken at their team’s semi-final exit on Friday.
The list is dominated by players from winners Australia and runner-up New Zealand.
Kiwi captain Brendan McCullum was named captain of the World Cup XI.
The only South Asian player in the team is Kumar Sangakkara who hit a world record four centuries on the trot during the group stages of the competition.
Aside from McCullum, four other kiwis make the list, as well as three Australians and two South Africans. Zimbabwe’s Brendan Taylor is named 12th man.
“There were so many brilliant individual performances during the tournament that it was impossible to fit them into the team,” the ICC said.
“The panel eventually came up with this side, which, in their view, was the most balanced outfit that is capable of beating any side on any given day,” it said.
Here is the selection for team of the tournament.
1. Martin Guptill (New Zealand)
2. Brendon McCullum, captain (New Zealand)
3. Kumar Sangakkara, wkt (Sri Lanka)
4. Steven Smith (Australia)
5. A.B. de Villiers (South Africa)
6. Glenn Maxwell (Australia)
7. Corey Anderson (New Zealand)
8. Daniel Vettori (New Zealand)
9. Mitchell Starc (Australia)
10. Trent Boult (New Zealand)
11. Morne Morkel (South Africa)
12th man - Brendan Taylor (Zimbabwe)BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS